Demo release on the 5th of August, 2022.
A game by Casilda de Zulueta.
A first-person horror adventure game for mobile devices. / A virtual memorial for the lack of physical ones.
13 Rosas is a horror adventure game about the characteristics and mechanisms of fascism in general and the Spanish Civil War (1936-1939) in particular.
Explore a nightmarish, impossible building to retrieve thirteen red roses for the monster guarding the exit gate. The roses lie behind puzzles and philosophical riddles inspired by texts from, among others, Umberto Eco, Antonio Gramsci and Clara Zetkin, paintings, photographies and poems from artists like Pablo Picasso, Gerda Taro and Federico García Lorca, and several pieces of historiographical documentation dedicated to these dark times.
The Thirteen Roses
The Thirteen Roses were an actual group of young socialist women fighting on the Republican side, who were executed not during, but after the end of the war. The demo version release was on the anniversary of their assassination (August 5th, 2022).
The name of the Thirteen Roses transcends their own existence: what was meant to be an exemplary penalty became a symbol of the resistance which continues to exist to this day. The presence of these roses inside the game serves as a common thread for the historical memory of Spain.
The game concept and the first playable demo was developed by Casilda de Zulueta, with original music and sound design done by her father, Francisco de Zulueta. This version was submitted in mid-2022 along with her master's thesis in Game Development & Research M.A. at the Cologne Game Lab (TH Köln University of Applied Sciences, Germany).
On the 5th of August, 2022, a public demo was released (available on itch.io). It is for this version that Daniel Palacio Samitier joined to take over the programming work and implement the missing features.
- First-person horror.
- Fully navigable 3D space.
- Scripted puzzles.
- A nightmarish, impossible, old building to explore.
- Lore notes on the causes and consequences of fascism scattered around the house.
- An enigmatic creature guarding the exit gate.
Logo & Icon
Selected Articles, Reports and Interviews
- 📻 La valenciana Casilda de Zulueta nos presenta la demo del videojuego inspirado en las '13 Rosas' (02/08/2022). Hoy por Hoy: Comunitat Valenciana with Jèssica Crespo and Quique Lencina. Cadena SER.
- 📰 Una aventura de terror fascista sobre las '13 rosas': “Los videojuegos sirven para contar la historia de forma interactiva” (05/08/2022). Lucas Marco. elDiario.es.
- 📰📻 13 Rosas: el videojuego como vía de reparación para la memoria histórica (08/08/2022). Elena Cortés Alonso. AnaitGames.
- 📺 Un joc per a ensenyar memòria històrica (08/08/2022). Maria Jesus Jorge. À Punt NTC.
- 📰 13 Rosas. Un memorial para nuestros horrores (26/08/2022). Antonio Flores Ledesma. Nivel Oculto.
- 📻 VIERNES CAFETERO (minute 58:30) (23/09/2022). Fernando Berlín. La Cafetera - Radiocable.com
- 📺 Plaça Tísner - Núm. 80: El Memefest i la cultura del mem (minute 1:46:07) (07/03/2023). Susana Pérez Alonso for Plaça Tísner (Laura Sangrà Herrero). Betevé.
Game design & art:
Original music & sound design:
Francisco de Zulueta